3) Petrissage Technique (to Knead)
Petrissage is a technique that involves kneading the soft tissue. The word petrissage comes from the French and refers to ‘kneading’. The technique may include stretching, squeezing, kneading soft tissue.
Wikipedia defines Petrissage as: “… massage movements with applied pressure which are deep and compress the underlying muscles. Kneading, wringing, skin rolling and pick-up-and-squeeze are the petrissage movements. They are all performed with the padded palmar surface of the hand, the surface of the finger and also the thumbs.
Benefits of the Petrissage Technique:
- Soft tissue elasticity
- Muscle waste product removal
- Stimulate the skin
- Promotes vascular response
- Promote lymphatic response
- Increase portability between tissue interfaces